Friday, December 9, 2016

Connections & Personalizing

Education Counts suggests that "Personalizing learning aligns with the idea that education systems must move away from an Industrial Age "one-size-fits-all" model. The idea of "personalizing learning" calls for reversing the "logic" of education systems so that the system is built around the learner, rather than the learner being required to fit with the system" https://www.educationcounts.govt.nz/publications/schooling/109306

Over the past week we have had EOTC (education outside the classroom) activities where the middle school (Y7-10) have been split into groups of 10-12, lead by two Y10s and then completed a wide range of activities from tramping, rafting, paddleboarding to evading terrorists from the North Island.  While some activities were outside some comfort zones, it has been great to see that these activities were built to provide opportunities for the learners to step up into leadership roles and try new things.  

I spent two days with the groups tramping up and down the Darts Bush Stream Track and the best part about this for me was not only relishing that my eight weeks of circuit training had paid off and I was fitter than before BUT the time I got to spend out of the classroom with the students who will be heading into my room next year.  I could chat to them about their interests and what they had done well this year.  I could ask them about what books they read, what they plan to do in the holidays, what scares them and what makes them excited.  It was a great time to learn more informally what they were wanting to study further.  So, with a combo of hunting, dystopia, geography skills and drawing coming up tops for most, I am going to start planning a Unit called the "Geography of Dystopia."  I have four different texts so the students will again be able to self select - and one of these is audio, so the struggling readers, I will encourage this option.   The covers the Literature aspect, mapping skills are key to our area, so I will find a local to support this - and it will introduce students to Y11 Geography concepts.  

While I aim to plan the bare bones of the unit, we will look at together what skills we as a class want to showcase for our portfolios.  I know they also enjoy cooking, so we might head over to the Home Economics room and plan a dystopian banquet or head towards the Science Lab and learn more about genetics and cryogenic freezing - the world is our oyster.  I plan to teach these students about the inquiry spiral and imagine this unit taking all term, including our Camp week.  

So - with only Top House and Assembly to go - it's all go and I'm very thankful for the opportunities EOTC week has not just given our students, but myself to further connect and personalize their learning.


1 comment:

  1. So exciting what you have planned for your kids. Love the ideas around integration with Science and Food Technology. Looks like so much fun. All the best with planning with the kids. Student voice is so powerful. They will have so much buy in with their learning. Looking forward to following you on this journey with your learners. I had a giggle about the so called "terrorists from the NorthIsland".. So will I be one of those?? lol.

    ReplyDelete