Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Trip to Wellington

I found out about the NZTA professional development through Twitter.  I had previously looked at several of the resources available online and wanted some more support surrounding using them in the classroom.  Seeing the Pam Hook herself was going to be speaking at the day, along with Alex le Long, both educators I have admired for several years – was the clincher.  I contacted NZTA, impressed that the Wellington Council was paying relief for educators to attend.  Unfortunately, being outside the district this could not be so for myself, but they were very happy for me to attend. 
Catching early morning bus to the city

Working with SOLO hexagons

Amazing amazing presenter!!!


Walking from course to the National Library - was nice to be North Island bound for 48hours

Supported by our school principal and board, I was enabled to take the time to attend.  For me, the best takeaway moments were a reminder that the roads are a commons and teaching citizenship surrounding this – aimed at our students as ‘bundles of capabilities’ is key.    I have come back to Twizel and in consultation with our staff, the areas of safety they feel key to our community are negotiating road hazards (especially when walking and biking) and being in and around cars safely.  Further to this we will collaboratively plan a road safety week within the next few terms using some of the ideas and resources from the NZTA website.


Many thanks to all the organisers and presenters for an inspirational PD day that will go on to have far reaching consequences.    I have two students so enthused about the NZTA game design competition as well - so fun to watch them brainstorming today!

No comments:

Post a Comment