Friday, October 2, 2015

Take Two ...

I had grand intentions of blogging last night - but family came first!  My biggest boy turned eight.  I am not quite sure how, but somehow eight years have past since this tiny bundle of baby surprised us four weeks early.  I had finished teaching at the end of Term 3 on a high - my students had given me a "surprise" baby shower.  I was going to relax and had five weeks to finish the nursery and knitting.  Six days later we welcomed our first son!   It's been an up and down journey - I'm pretty sure I haven't got the parenting thing down pat, but eight years and five kids later - I am in love with the journey.

The outfit we had picked out for him to come home in ... it was too big for a 6lb preemie.


Yesterday's actual journey took us from Twizel to Oamaru - about two hours.  I hadn't been down that way before, so my husband pointed out all the landmarks along the way.  I am keen to do the trip again and stop at the Maori Rock Art and have a slow explore of the museums without little people.  We did get to explore the Bontanic Gardens which were so beautiful.  Daffodils, tulips, magnolias, camillas, and cherry blossoms were all out in bloom - I could have just sat in the sun and drunk it in for hours.  However, little people wanted to explore, so we roamed around and took over the playground for awhile.

Blossoms! - photo credit DH
 Path to run on!  Photo credit: DH

Homeward bound we frequented our local enjoying the $20 steak night for us adults and fried goodness as a birthday treat for the kids.  Dessert was waiting for us at home, rich chocolate cake with cream cheese chocolate frosting and eight coloured candles.

So - how does this relate to my journey as an educator.

 I think having my own babies has made me value and appreciate my students' parents.  As my kids entered the primary system, I again realised and recognised how much and how important it is to communicate with parents - every parents wants to know how their child is going - they want to know the good, the bad and the ugly.  A wise fellow teacher once told me that the parent teacher conference shouldn't be the first time a parent hears their child is struggling.  I have taken this on board and it has made me more confident about connecting with parents from the first instance.  I am keen to get more connected next year as well, using some form of e-portfolios and more regular class blogs/emails.  We have one teacher at our school with a Wiki, and I know many parents who enjoy this form of interaction.  I'm not sure what platform I will use - but it is a goal!


No comments:

Post a Comment