Sunday, May 3, 2015

Board Work

Often as teacher's we put up the Lesson Objective for the day.  These lesson objectives may come in the form of "Today I will be able to ..." or "Today we will learn about ... " or "I can ... "  I am going to try a different system after seeing a photo on Twitter.  We often put them up on the left or right hand side of the  board and get students to copy them into their notes or exercise books.  The goal of this is to make sure we and the students know what the purpose of the lesson is, the reason we are doing things and for them to have a reference point for achievement for that particular day or lesson.

One of my students painted the SOLO images (second image) during our Burger activity (first image) and they were too large for the burger.  Not wanting to waste them, I thought they would be the perfect fit for my board and my goal to change the way I use learning intentions.

Burger Activity - breaking down our knowledge of essays/language techniques/word classes and SOLO - love our school, we were nearly out of time, so I asked the next teacher if I could keep them as I had a non-contact ... no problems!!!

SOLO board - will aim to scaffold learning activities through this.  I will still have some more standard learning intentions that link specifically to curriculum context where applicable.

The SOLO learning intention board is a work in progress for me.  I will use it where I can, and hopefully students will find it clear to see what to aim for and for their own self-assessment of their learning.  Today it was as simple as the Extended Abstract image had "Apply and Understand Activities" beside it, so students could aim to get to those activities on their Google Doc, and if they could complete those (with showed understanding through individual conferences with me) then they knew they were at that level.  

It's all about learning - and I'm still excited I get to learn alongside my class!

No comments:

Post a Comment